If you are new to the world of networking, tap networking may sound unfamiliar to you, but for the network administrators, a tap network means a lot. Tap commonly known as traffic analysis point is a piece of hardware intentionally put between two different connections on a network to monitor the performance of the network without causing any damage or interruption of the service.
For the beginners, consider tap network as a phone tap. With the phone tap you are able to have access to all the data that is flowing through the system back and forth and at the same time you are able to analyze the data without interrupting the stream of information. The phone tap allows you to collect the data at any point in time to provide uninterrupted service to your clients without hindering the day-to-day activities.
Following are some of the advantages that you can enjoy using the tap network:
- Helps you filter out physical layer errors normally encountered on the networks
- Helps you avoid any system lags
- Helps you remain undetected and invisible to the outside users
- Helps you process large batches of data containing VoIP information, videos and audios)
- Helps you perform your monitoring task without producing any loss of packets of information
In today’s world the performance as well as the security of the networks is of paramount importance, any negligence in this regard my lead to heavy losses to both the service provider as well as the users. As a network administrator, it is your prime responsibility to make sure that everything is up and running as it needs to and there are no major problems or security threats. If you are able to detect these threats proactively, you will make sure that the system runs smoothly.